Historic Sites of Manitoba: Avonlea School No. 1606 (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The Avonlea School District was organized formally in February 1912. It operated a one-room wood frame school building on the northeast quarter of 7-37-26 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. At some point, the original building was replaced by one with a full basement, heated by an oil-fueled furnace. It closed in June 1964. The school building is no longer present at the site but a stone cairn, erected in 1978, commemorates it.
Teachers who worked at Avonlea School through the years included: Mamie Jordan (1914), Miss Macraw, Miss Stewart, Miss Eldred, Elsie Gowanlock, Miss Robinson, Stella Fraser, Miss Motherall, Florence Grant (1924), Ilene Evendon (1928), Beatrice Fletcher (1933-1934), Mildred Haackland (1934-1935), Lucy Brown (1935-1936), Dorothy Baskerville (1936-1940), Muriel Wilson (1940-1941), Gwen Gohl (1942), Sally Lussier (1946-1947), Evelyn Clarke (1947-1948), Leona Dixon (1948-1949), Olga Lund, Georgina Krone, Isabella Hill (1953-1954), Pat Harkins (1953-1954), Cecil Cox (1953-1954), Belva Allen (1954-1955), Shirley Madill (1955-1957), Clara Watson (1957-1958), Elizabeth Snelgrove (1958-1959), Euphemia Dunnett (1959-1961), and Alice Stozak (1961-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 November 2017
Back to top of page