Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arran School No. 1960 (RM of Hanover)
The Arran School District was established in April 1919 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW25-7-4E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1949, the original building was replaced by a two-classroom structure that featured a full basement. A modern oil furnace and washrooms were added in 1963, along with a water fountain on the main floor. In January 1968, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. The school closed and the students were bused to Bothwell or Niverville. The site and buildings, including a teacherage, were sold for $4,000. In 2013, a commemorative sign was erected at the site by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Among the teachers who worked at Arran School through the years were: Eva Toews (1920s), Nettie J. Siemens (1940), Marianne Brandt (1958-1959), Anne Klassen, Irmgard Dueck, Peter D. Mathies, M. Kornelsen, O. A. Wurster, Lena Eidse, Nick J. Martens, Annie Isaak, Martha Rempel, Helen Thiessen, A. R. Sobering, Helen Goertzen, Susan Wiens, Richard Loeppky, John Guenther, Jacob P. Rempel, Agatha Dyck, John Stoesz, Lydia Loeppky, Abe Toews, P. G. Kehler, Katie Peters, Tiena Warkentine, Alice Dyck, Henry Warkentine, Anne Reimer, J. H. K. Dyck, Esther Hiebert, Adina Brandt, Lydia Falk, and Katie Wiebe.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Glen Klassen, Ernest Braun, and Henry Esau for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 January 2016
Back to top of page