Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arbroath School No. 796 (Municipality of Norfolk Treherne)

Formally established in June 1893, the school trustees erected a building three years later in the southwest quarter of 17-9-9 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Norfolk Treherne. It operated from April 1896 to July 1909 when a new, more central location was chosen in NW9-9-9. The original school building was sold to the local Ladies’ Aid Society. It later became a private residence and was eventually moved to Treherne. The new Arbroath School continued until January 1959 when the district became part of Treherne Consolidated School No. 537.

The teachers of the original Arbroath School were Miss King, J. McMillan, Miss McDermott, Miss Braden, Minnie Ford, Miss Kitson, E. K. Marshall, Miss A. Clelland, Miss Donnelly, Miss J. Harrison, Miss A. Lamont, Miss I. Kane, Herbert H. Bruce, L. A. Welwood, Grace Enslie, A. V. Lamont, and Miss M. E. Collier.

The teachers of the new Arbroath School were E. Ross, Miss E. Hart, Milton Eaton, C. Robertson, F. Morden, Miss Linklater, J. A. Thomas, Miss M. Nicholson, J. Pettipher, F. Sanderson, M. Martins, Mrs. L. Roby, E. Breault, Miss A. MacDonald, Miss Hannah, Miss M. Thompson, Louise Penny, N. J. Jefferson, J. Smith, Alexander J. Smaluk, Grace Bowles, Belle Rose, E. Watkins, F. Loree, Marie Durand, Henry Klassen, Mr. S. McGowan, Miss A, Ardington, A. Wiechman, E. Balmer, Miss Thordarson, N. McTavish, Miss Mousseau, L. Fonger, Miss E. Nicoll, Lois Thody, Mrs. W. Simms, Mrs. A. Runner, and W. Kukurudz.

Arbroath School

The original Arbroath School building (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 1.

Arbroath School

Arbroath School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.73888, W98.64214
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 324-325.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 November 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.