Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


2017
Annual
General
Meeting


Spring
Field Trip:
Military
History


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Angus McKay School (850 Woodvale Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

Built in 1953 in the East Kildonan School District, the school was named for North Kildonan councillor Angus Matheson McKay and opened on 1 November 1953. The building was expanded in 1958 by the firm of Smith Carter Katelnikoff Architects, and again by the same firm in 1960, a six-classroom addon with movable walls that allowed for two classrooms to become an assembly hall. The new wing was officially opened on 23 October 1960 by East Kildonan School Board Chairman L. A. McMahon. A further addition was made in 1974 on designs of Macdonald, Cockburn, McLeod, McFeetors Architects.

Principals

Period

Principal

1953-1963

Louise May Hudson Dunnett (1903-1993)

1963-1965

David Stewart Small (1913-2003)

1965-1967

?

1967

Peter Franz Klassen (1922-2004)

1967-1970s

?

1970s

Mosie Nicholas “Moe” Tobin (1933-2007)

1970s-1995

?

1995

Mary Oliver

1995-2003

?

2003

Judy Vermette

2003-2014

?

2014-?

C. Qua

Teachers

Among the teachers of Angus McKay School was Jim Ladoski.

Photos & Maps

Angus McKay School

Angus McKay School (September 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.93405, W97.10460
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Angus Matheson McKay (1862-1953)

Sources:

“Schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1953, page 24.

[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 17 September 1957, page 15.

“School tender notices,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 October 1957, page 42.

“Notice of tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 December 1959, page 31.

“To open wing,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 October 1960, page 9.

“Jottings from the business world,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 October 1960, page 66.

“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 February 1960, page 37.

“McKay school tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 May 1963, page 19.

“To hear Principal,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 November 1967, page 22.

“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 June 1974, page 40.

“Volunteer grandparents loving it,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North/Northeast, 30 August 1995, page 3.

“Community spirit,” Winnipeg Free Press Neighbours Northeast, 3 September 2003, page 1.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 15 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.