Constructed in 1909 by local contractor George Thomas Clark Halford, the building at this site at 470 Stella Avenue in Winnipeg was once home to the All People’s Mission. On the northwest corner of the building is a plaque erected in 1974 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It honours James Shaver Woodsworth, Methodist minister, politician and champion of the poor and social reform.
The former All People’s Mission at 470 Stella Avenue (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91352, W97.14520
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: All People’s Mission (119 Sutherland Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Memorable Manitobans: George Thomas Clark Halford (1857-1933)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 January 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.