Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alloway and Champion Bank Building (667 Main Street, Winnipeg)
In 1905, this building on the east side of Main Street between Logan and Henry avenues, one block south of the Canadian Pacific Railway station, was designed by local architect J. H. Cadham for bankers W. F. Alloway and H. T. Champion. It was their second building, after the original bank at 362 Main Street in the centre of the city’s financial district, and was constructed by the Imperial Plumbing and Building Company at a cost of $13,000.
The branch office of the Alloway and Champion Bank—which would eventually become the largest private banking firm in Canada—occupied the main floor of the three-storey building, with the law firm of Steinkopf and Bruce (later Steinkopf and Lawrence) on the second floor, and residential suites on the third floor. When the law firm moved out in the late 1920s, the second floor was renovated into residential space.
The Canadian Bank of Commerce (which bought Alloway and Champion in 1919) operated a branch at the location until the mid-1930s. After standing vacant for a couple of years, it was renovated for use as a restaurant until the late 1970s when it became a furniture store. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Alloway & Champion Building, 667 Main Street, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 1986.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 May 2017
Back to top of page