Historic Sites of Manitoba: Allandale School No. 1946 (Municipality of Norfolk Treherne)
The Allandale School District was established in December 1918 and, the following year, a one-room schoolhouse built at NE30-9-8W in what is now the Municipality of Norfolk Treherne. The building was wired for electricity in 1952 and, ten years later, a two-room teacherage was built attached to the classroom. The school closed in June 1964 and the district was dissolved. Its catchment area became part of the Rossendale Consolidated School District and later the Pine Creek School Division.
Among the teachers of Allandale School were Miss Emma Pickard (1919), Miss E. M. Asrican (1920), Miss V. Crossan, Miss R. Anderson, Miss K. Caskey, Miss M. Higginbotham, Miss M. Watson, Miss G. Walleyn, Miss K. Watson, Miss M. Fast, Mrs. Anna Collins, Miss M. Park, Miss J. Robinson, Mrs. Doherty, and Mrs. Ivy Pawley (1964).
A stone monument somewhere in the vicinity of the former schoolhouse listed men from the local area who served in the Second World War, including two who were killed.
Second World War Casualties
Langruth West topographic map, 62J/7 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
Allandale Echoes by Allandale Book Club, 1965, pages 5-11, 68.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 November 2021