Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexander Post Office (Alexander, RM of Whitehead)
The Alexander Post Office, at Alexander in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, is one of the oldest privately owned post offices in continuous use in Manitoba. Built as a small hotel, residence and store, with the central portion occupied by the post office in 1892, the structure was built by James Frederick Walker, whose family provided postal services to the village until 1949. It became a municipally-designated historic site in 1993.
Photos & Coordinates
Alexander Post Office (415 Second Avenue West, Alexander), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 January 2022