The Ager School District was organized formally in October 1904, named for local settler John Ager, and a school building was constructed the next year in the northeast quarter of 29-4-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Thompson. The building was remodelled in 1948 and destroyed by fire in 1957. A new structure was built and it operated until June 1960. The district was dissolved and its area was added to that of Rosebank School. The former school building was moved one mile east and one mile south, to SE28-4-5W, where it was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers who worked at Ager School through the years were Etta Trevithick (1905-1907), Jessie Greenwood (1907-1909), Rae George (1909, 1910-1911), Louis Curtis (1909-1910), Florence Coates (1910), Lulu Moir (1911), Isabelle Broadfoot (1912), Maggie Saunders (1913-1915), V. Churchill (1915), Millie Coghlan (1915), Mayme Kennedy (1916), Florence McConnell (1917-1918), R. Joseph (1918), Jean R. Cox (1919-1920), Dorothy Bertram (1920), Ruth Spurway (1921-1922), Nettanis B. Vaux (1922-1923), Ruth Owens (1923-1926), Arthur Lawson (1926-1928), Annie E. Gilligan (1928-1932), Lillian E. Gilligan (1932-1935), Alice M. Laycock (1935-1938), Jean Sutherland (1938-1940), Isabelle Smith (1940-1941), Kathleen Laycock (1941, 1952-1953), Olive Pearson (1941-1942), Hermina Warning (1942-1943), Rosemary Matthews (1943-1944), Dorothy Pow (1944-1945), Doris Gronback (1945-1946), Ellen Couch (1946), Don Muir (1946), Glen Mellis (1947), Jean Jackson (1947-1948), Eva Dauphinais (1948-1949, 1950-1951), Margaret Young (1949), Lionel Wasilka (1951-1952), Roy Warner (1953), Doreen Dracass (1953-1955), Janet Stevenson (1955-1956), Margaret Ann Glover Beckett (1956-1957, 1958), Joan Popkes Hawley (1957-1958), and Anne Gilligan Thomson (1958-1960).
Ager School commemorative sign (October 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.33883, W98.09223
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Miami & R. M. of Thompson Chronicles by Thompson History Book Committee, c1998. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.M50Mia]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!