Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Plympton School No. 81 (RM of Springfield)

The South Plympton School District was organized formally in 1879 and a school building was built the next year on the northeast quarter of 16-10-5 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. In 1900, it was moved one mile west and three-quarters of a mile south. It operated until 1957 when low enrollment caused it to close. The remaining students went to Dugald Consolidated School No. 2427. The district was dissolved in 1964. The former school building was used as a granary.

Teacher who taught at South Plympton School include Miss Laura Aitkenhead (1880), Frank Kiltie (1882), M. Johnson (1883-1885), J. Kerr (1886), J. B. McKee (1887), A. Chisholm (1888), G. Graham (1889), Helen Hislop (1890), H. Halpenny (1891-1892, 1894), A. Robertson (1892), R. M. Riddell (1893), Isabel Robertson (1894), Angus Robertson (1895-1896), E. D. Hudson (1896), M. A. Godley (1897), J. McCormick (1898), D. Martin (1898), M. Thompson (1899-1900), Miss McClure (1901), H. Corbett (1902), M. Philip (1904), C. Egan (1905-1906), A. McKenzie (1907), M. Brains (1908), H. Doubleday (1908), O. Firby (1909), Richard Ellice Brown (1910-1912), A. Umphrey (1913), I. Coles (1914-1916), Miss Robinson (1917), Miss Currie (1918), Miss Godkin (1919), Miss Dyma (1920), Miss Darker (1922), A. Bailey (1922-1923), Miss Dickson (1924), Miss Anderson (1925), Miss Jones (1926), B. Heather (1927-1929), Miss Doherty (1930-1931), Miss Short (1932-1933), E. Lincoln (1934-1935), W. Harvey (1936-1937), Vera Croft (1938-1940), Jean Smith (1941), Yetta Kremis (1942), Ester Miller (1942), M. Main (1942), E. Boldt (1943), M. Williams (1944-1946), O. Susiek (1947-1948), H. Bihr (1949-1951), E. Cook (1952-1954), Howard Pawley (1955), and J. Adams (1956-1957).

South Plympton School

South Plympton School (no date) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 33.

The former South Plympton School building

The former South Plympton School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1270.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.82618, W96.86710
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Plympton School / Dugald School No. 80 (Dugald, RM of Springfield)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Plympton School No. 98 (RM of Springfield)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dugald Consolidated School No. 2427 (Dugald, RM of Springfield)


Springfield: 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973 by Dugald Women’s Institute, 1974.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 February 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!