Historic Sites of Manitoba: Parkhill School No. 77 (RM of Stanley)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Parkhill School District was organized formally in February 1879 and a school building was constructed in the northwest quarter of 20-3-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Stanley, on land acquired from farmer Abe petkau. The Parkhill name is purported to be connected to local homesteaders who moved into the district from Parkhill, Ontario.

In the spring of 1888, the school structure burned down while being transported from its original location to the new school property at the southeast corner northeast quarter of 29-3-5 west. A new schoolhouse was built and opened in September 1888 at NW29-3-5. The district experienced significant grown and increase demand on classroom space. Faced with the need for a two-room school, the district was split, thus creating the Cheval School District No. 1124 in 1901. In September 1952, a new schoolhouse was built and opened, with the old building sold to Lois Rowley for $350. The district and school remained in operation until July 1965.

Among the teachers who taught at Parkhill School was Grace Connor (April - Fall 1880), Harry Grills (?-?), Grace Carrier (1883-1884), George H. Mott (Spring-Fall 1885), Frank E. Morrison (Spring 1886 - pt Spring 1887, Fall 1887), George William Burrell (pt Spring 1887), Lewis W. Studley (Spring-Fall 1888), Mrs. Levi Dingman (Spring-Fall 1889), Florence Dingman (January-March 1890 & Fall 1890), Ida Leary (March-June 1890), Maggie Logan (Spring-Fall 1891), Florence Shafer (August 1891 - December 1892), Gertrude Potter (January 1893), Maggie Vanalstein (c. February-April 1893), R. G. Holland (April 1893 - March 1894), Mrs. J. Wagg (1894), Bella Marten (Fall 1895 - June 1898), Lily Hobkirk (1898), Nellie Hobkirk (1899), Margaret Baxter (January-December 1900), Mabel Mitchel (Spring 1901), Andrew M. McIntyre (Fall 1901), Ida Brundrit (1902), ? (1903), Maude Bradshaw (1904-1905), ? (Spring 1906), Susie Somerville (Fall 1906), Hattie McAulay (1907), Mabel George (1908-1909), Alice Turton (1910), John Alexander MacAulay (1911), John Bennet (1912), Laura Honora Finn (pt 1912, daughter of School Inspector Theophilus Grant “Theo” Finn), Lily Churchill (1912 - June 1914), Francis Irene Finn (1914-1915, daughter of Inspector Finn), Anna Howatt (1916), Mary Steppler (1917), Irene King (1918), Jean M. Houston (1918-1919), Gladys F. Deacon (pt Spring 1919 - June 1920), Olive Henderson (1920-1921), Mary Stewart (1922), Lillian Porter (Fall 1922), Elsie Laming (January-May 1923), Bella Rainer (May-June 1923), ? (Fall 1923), Miss E. J. Cruise (1924), Murray Holmes (1925), Ethel Wilde (1925-1926), Matilda E. Burnett (1926-1927), Miss A. Reid (1927-1929), Pearl Roberts (Spring 1930), Jean Campbell (1930-1932), Edna Shore (1932-1935), Alma H. Smith (1935-1936), Florence Houston (1936-1939), Mary Anderson (1939-1941), Janet Cochrane (1941-1943), ? (August-September 1943), Reta Shore (substitute teacher - many instances between 1930s-1950s; including September-December 1943, pt Spring 1956), Jeanne Breckon (1943-1946), Leona Day (1946-1947), Geraldine McMunn (1947-1949), Margaret Flynn (1949-1950), Vera Epp (1950-1951), Anne Thiessen (1951-1952), Judith Ulman (1952-1953), Salome Voth (1953- pt Spring 1956), Abe Peters (1956-1958), Margaret Fehr (1958-1959), Rose Klassen (1959), Shirley Gurney (1960-1961), John Pankrotz (1961-1963), and Katie Wiebe (1963-1965).

Photos & Coordinates

Parkhill School

Parkhill School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 33.

Parkhill School commemorative monument

Parkhill School commemorative monument (October 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.24934, W98.09221
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glengarry School No. 1419 (RM of Portage la Prairie)


Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.

Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.

Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Sanford-Ferndale, 1871-1987 by Sanford-Ferndale History Committee, 1989, page 322.

Ten Dollars And A Dream; Parkhill - Cheval, edited by Reta Shore, Parkhill & Cheval Community Club.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 September 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!