Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Power Commission Building (1075 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

This two-storey concrete and brick building on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by the architectural firm of Green Blankstein Russell and Associates and constructed in 1954 by the Peter Leitch Construction Company as the headquarters for the Manitoba Power Commission (MPC), replacing space it had occupied in the Canada Building.

The building was opened officially on 16 November 1954 at a ceremony attended by Premier Douglas Lloyd Campbell, MPC General Manager William David Fallis, Minister of Public Utilities Charles Lemington Shuttleworth, and MPC Chairman Robert Charles Smellie.

Manitoba Power Commission Building

Manitoba Power Commission Building (c1955)
Source: Winnipeg Building Index, MPCBGBR-51A

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88509, W97.17767
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Green Blankstein Russell and Associates

Manitoba Business: Peter Leitch Construction Company


“Premier opens Manitoba Power Commission HQ,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 November 1954, page 6.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!