Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lynch Party (RM of Portage la Prairie)

A sign in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie, situated in a privately owned campground at Lynch’s Point at the end of highway 242, commemorates a group of settlers from Middlesex County, Ontario who arrived in this area in 1871. Led by Walter Lynch, a group advocated a scientific approach to agriculture. They introduced the province’s first successful purebred stock—Leicester sheep. In 1873, Lynch brought in the first registered Shorthorn cattle. In 1906, he was named the first Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Manitoba Agricultural College.

Lynch Party commemorative sign

Lynch Party commemorative sign (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.24465, W98.57265
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Walter Lynch (1835-1908)


This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!