Manitoba Communities: McConnell (Unincorporated Village, Municipality of Hamiota)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Historic Sites | Sources

In 1912, when the community of Viola Dale was bypassed by the newly constructed Canadian Northern Railway, most of the buildings were moved to this location and the village of McConnell was established. It was named for Andrew Delaney McConnell (1858-1940) who had sold land for a townsite to the railway. With the abandonment of the railway in December 1978, most of the town disappeared.

Photos & Maps

Waldersee 1950

McConnell (circa 1914)
This early view of the village of McConnell was taken from the top of the Bawlf Grain Company elevator. The original McConnell School building is visible in the background, at left. The photo was part of a collection belonging to school teacher Elizabeth M. MacIntosh.
Source: Natalie Macintosh, 2014-0042

Historic Sites

Go here for a list of historic sites in McConnell.


McConnell: Little Town Lost by McConnell Women’s Institute and History Committee, 1979.

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

We thank Natalie Macintosh for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 July 2017