MHS Awards: Margaret McWilliams Award Program
Nomination form | Nominees (2021) | Recipients (2021) | All past recipients
Nomination deadline: Wednesday, 1 March 2023
The purpose of the Margaret McWilliams Award, one of the oldest literary prizes in Canada, is to encourage the study and interpretation of the history of Manitoba. It was instituted in 1955 by the Manitoba Historical Society as a memorial to Margaret Stovel McWilliams.
For recipients in 2023, cash awards of $500 (and a certificate) will be made in each of the following categories:
- Scholarly History Book
- Popular History Book
- Local History Book
Other categories may be added at the discretion of the Manitoba Historial Society.
- Submitted materials must pertain to Manitoba history and be published in the 2022 calendar year. Fictional works will only be considered if they deal with persons, events, or places in Manitoba history.
- Four copies of each submission must be forwarded with the application form. All submissions become the property of the Manitoba Historical Society and will not be returned.
- Submissions must be published in English or French, either originally or in translation.
- Submissions must be more than 50 pages in length.
- Self-published materials shall be eligible for submission but at least 100 copies must have been published and commercially distributed to the public through well-established channels such as retail stores or an online book-selling website.
- The decision of the Manitoba Historical Society as to the eligibility of a submission shall be binding.
Please note that the Manitoba Historical Society reserves the right to switch submissions into a different category. Awards will not necessarily be made in every category and multiple awards may be given in the event of a tie.
For more information about the award and its eligibility criteria, please contact the McWilliam Award Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the MHS Office.
Memorable Manitobans: Margaret Stovel McWilliams (1875-1952)
Page revised: 17 January 2023