Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: New Ireland School / Zephyr School No. 1384 (RM of Argyle)

Known originally as the New Ireland School District when it was formally established in June 1906, the district was later renamed. A school building was erected the next year, on the northwest corner of 7-4-12 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. A school barn at the site was built in 1937.

The school closed in December 1952 and the remaining students went to other nearby schools, including Mariapolis Consolidated School No. 2372, Excelsior School No. 449, Marringhurst School No. 231, or Glenora School No. 736. The district was dissolved in January 1959. The building is no longer on the site but a monument commemorates it. Atop the monument is a small replica of the school made by Archie Richmond.

Among the teachers who worked at Zephyr School were Morley L. Bell, Mary Richardson, Victor W. Jenkins, Ethel Miller, Jean L. Straug, Winnifred J. E. Brears, Bertha Sullivan, Violet Fjeldsted, Clara Bishop, N. P. Laurence, Jennie McLennan (1915-1917), Dorothy A. Gilbert (1917-1918), Elda A. Burr (1918-1920), Lillian Jessamive Lodge (1920-1921), Mary A. Thomson (1920-1922), May Windsor (1922-1923), Clara Beatrice McQuarrie (1926-1928), Alice Maybelle Fowler (1928-1929), Elna Johansen (1929-1931), Jean Ellen Fleming (1931-1933, 1938-1940), Evelyn Gertrude Hainstock (1933-1937), Helen Isabelle Drysdale (1937-1938), George Robert Pool (1938-1940), Marjorie M. Meder (1940-1941), Thelma May Syms (1942-1943), Ulysse Bohemier (1942-1943), Alberic Marginet (1943-1944), Marie A. Elizabeth Gautron (1944-1946), Agnes Cecilia Poczik (1946-1947), Aime Guilbert (1946-1947), Rose Marie Anne Regitneg (1947-1948), Mrs. Richard Graham (1948-1949), Joseph Anthony Duhamel (1948-1949), Genevieve G. C. Ricker (1949-1950), Lillian Ange-Marie Pantel (1950-1951), and Gilberte Anne Lebeau (1951-1952).

Zephyr School

Zephyr School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 108.

Zephyr School commemorative monument

Zephyr School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.31061, W99.01939
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

“History of Zephyr School District No. 1384” by Evelyn Graham Jones, typewritten document at Zephyr School monument, October 2011.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 February 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.