Historic Sites of Manitoba: Zelena School No. 1816 (Zelena, RM of Mossey River)
The Zelena School District was established in February 1916 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at Zelena (also spelled Zelana, SE4-30-20W) in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. In 1962, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Fork River Consolidated School District and later the Duck Mountain School Division. The former school building and teacherage were moved across the road and renovated into a private residence, which was still in use as of 2017.
Among the teachers of Zelena School were Joseph H. Lowes, William Popp, Stephen Kozak, J. C. Halinski, Sophie Freedman, Nicholas Mandziuk, Mrs. M. Bilash, Nicholas Bilash (1929-1938), Mary Bilash, W, Todoruk, Hellar Hrechka, Mark Herley, Mrs. A. Chubaty, Evelyn Prokopchuk, Natalie Yacentiuk, Ernest Bordyniuk, Florence Boychuk, and Pearl Harrison.
Garland East topographic map, 62N/9 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Ties That Bind: A History of Ethelbert and District by Ethelbert History Book Committee, 1985, page 63.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Borislaw Bilash II for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2019
Back to top of page