Historic Sites of Manitoba: Zaporoza School No. 1468 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Zaporoza School District was organized formally in May 1908, and a school building operated on the southeast quarter of 7-20-22 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. The school closed in 1960. The building, now vacant, is still present at the original site. A stone monument stands nearby.
Among the teachers of Zaporoza School were D. D. Dutchak (1919), John Kamenesky (1922), J. M. Hawryluk (1923-1924), Sophia Dunlop (1926-1927), Mildren C. McLaren (1927-1928), T. Satten (1929), Joseph Dorey (1929-1930), Stephen Hyra (1930-1931), Mary Pradinuik (1931-1933), Jennie Emily “Teenie” Teresko (1933-1934), Sophie Bugera (1934-1935), Sonja Bugera (1935-1937), Lillian T. Twerdun (1937-1938), Helen J. Antonation (1938), Lena Ellen Zepa (1938-1940), Jean Zapski (1940-1942), Margaret Tokaryk (1942-1943), Catherine M. Chastko Dobrowski (1943-1944), Kate Twerdun (1944-1945), William M. Chuhay (1945-1946), Michael Chorney (1946-1947), Jennie Grace Chuba (1947-1948), Alice Marion Koroscil (1948-1949), Olive Sitko Koroscil (1949-1950), Kay Yanyk (1950-1951), William W. Puyda (1951), Joyce Sitko (1951-1952), Tena Rose Glushka (1952-1953), Stan Kazmir Kwiatkowski (1953-1954), Bernice Angela Korolyk (1954-1957), Diane Yanyk (1957-1958), and Jack Chuba (1958-1959).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]
Manitoba School Records Collection, Zaporoza School District No. 1468 Daily Registers, GR2061, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Bruce Kwiatkowski for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 26 November 2017
Back to top of page