Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodrow School No. 1897 (RM of Lac du Bonnet)

The Woodrow School District was established formally in July 1917 and a wood frame schoolhouse operated at SW18-15-9E in the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet. In 1939, the original building was replaced and it operated until closure in 1966.

The teachers of Woodrow School were H. G. Kawecki (1918), John Goodwin (1919), Alice Santmeice (1919), A. Hnatation (1920), Samuel Baxter (1920), Dominic V. Wgrjykowski (1921), Mrs. Lionel Dollingwood Chown (1921-1922), Frank D. Row (1922), David Raymond Falconer (1923), Emma Edith Lewis (1923), Howard Reginald Standing (1924-1925), Mary E. Kondratuk (1925-1926), Hugh Robert McCaw (1926-1927), Frank Alexander Wachal (1927-1928), John Boes Quinn (1928-1929), Michael Krepiakewich (1929-1930), Gretta Stange (1930), Rod L. MacDonald (1931), Mary Homan (1931-1933), Alexander Jack Nickolychuk (1933-1935), Casimir Hollinger (1935-1938), Robert Bruce Fahrig (1938), James Henry Kiteley (1939), Gladys Wojciechowski (1939-1945), Edith Violet Kolton (1945-1946), Olga Kiedyk (1947), Edna Matheson (1948-1949), Elizabeth Gemmill (1949- 1950), Leonard Baumgartin (1950-1951), Peter J. Williams (1951-1953), Miss Esther Sanderman (1953-1954), Mary Jane Pennier (1953-1954), Miss Helen Giesbrecht (1954-1955), Kathleen Gertrude Buchman (1955-1956), Mary Cecile Fortin (1955-1956), Florence Bell (1956-1957), Joan Warywoda (1956-1957), Esther Suderman (1957-1958), Mrs. Joan Murash (1958-1959), Elizabeth Moroz (1958-1960), Harry Hryhorka (1960), Gerald Antymis (1961), Peter Smolarski (1961-1963), Gladys Sigurdson (1963-1966), and Annie Menard (1966).

The first Woodrow School and teacherage

The first Woodrow School and teacherage (no date) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 52.

The first Woodrow School and teacherage

The second Woodrow School (no date)
Source: Lac du Bonnet District Museum

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.26854, W96.35216
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.

Lac du Bonnet topographic map, 62I/8, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

We thank Nathan Kramer and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 May 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.