Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Woodnorth, RM of Pipestone)
A wooden grain elevator at Woodnorth, on the CNR Cromer Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone, was built by Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1960 to replace an existing elevator at the site, built in 1928, which was then converted into an annex. The total capacity of the two elevators was 56,200 bushels. Closed in September 1981, the newer elevator was moved to Cromer two months later. The older elevator was demolished in February 1982 and the agent’s residence was moved to Cromer that August.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Grain Elevators in Canada, compiled by Board of Grain Commissioners for Canada, Winnipeg, 1912-1930, 1930-1953, 1953-1998 [Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries], 1998-2016 [Canadian Grain Commission].
Memories of Lorne, 1880-1980: A History of the Municipality of Lorne, c1980, page 275.
The Sequel to Trails Along the Pipestone, RM Pipestone History Committee, 2008, page 38.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
We thank Shelley Johnston-Frith for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 10 October 2022