Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodlea School / Ingelow School No. 560 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

The Woodlea School District was established in 1887 with the name selected by Mrs. Thomas Morgan. A building was erected on land donated by Thomas McQuarrie, in the southwest quarter of 4-12-16 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford. It opened in January 1889. Grades 1 to 9 were taught through the school’s 71-year history. In the early years, due to severe winters, the school year ran from April to December with one week holiday in July. Teacher George Charlton planted the spruce trees at this site in 1898.

The Grand Trunk Railway created the nearby station of Ingelow in 1908. Woodlea School was renamed Ingelow School in 1923. It operated until January 1960 when it was consolidated with Brookdale Consolidated School No. 1299. A monument was dedicated in 2003 to the former pioneers, school trustees, teachers, and students of the district.

Among the teachers who worked at the Woodlea School (and Ingelow School) were Mr. McKenzie (1889), Beatrice Stewart, Maggie Stewart, Miss Meyma, George Charlton (1896), Miss Milne (1902), Thomas Taylor, Harry Doubleday, May Bond, Flora McDonald, Nellie Carpenter, Miss Ralston, Helen Winston, Miss Lynch, Miss Leech, Miss McIntosh, Edith Dunsmore, Elsie Shier (1917), Joyce Jardine, Grace Harrison, Miss McIntyre, Myrtle Little, Dorothy Thompson, Helen Hufflick (1952), Freda Martinson, Gladys Fraser, Muriel Hemming, Elsie McCandlis, Lillian Moffatt, Jean Rankin (1924), Hazel Fisher, Edith Tutt, Miss MacFarlene, Grace McDonald, Gertie Blenkhorne (1951), Phyllis Bray, Ora Watts, Sally Sewell, Mary Bocek, Vincent Madder, and Ruth Leitner Slezak (1959-1960).

Ingelow School and barn

Ingelow School and barn (October 1976) by Lawrence Stuckey
Source: Stuckey Collection, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University, 1-2002.3.3.CNR[142c]

Woodlea/Ingelow School

Woodlea/Ingelow School monument (2010)
Source: Allan Drysdale

Site Location (lat/long): N49.97505, W99.60883
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Organization: Woodlea Municipal School District No. 1589

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Carberry Plains, Century One: 1882-1982 by the Carberry History Committee, 1982. ISBN 0-88925-422-2. Manitoba Historical Society Library, 971.27Car, page 124.

Quest in Roots by Brookdale Historical Society, 1987. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B81Que]

This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 February 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.