Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wooddale School No. 1778 (RM of Grahamdale)
The Wooddale School District was established formally in March 1915 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE1-29-9W in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. No vestige of the former school was found during a 2016 site visit.
Among the teachers of Wooddale School were Mary Louise Reading (1954-1955), Alice Norah Knowles (1956-1958), Ellen Cook (1960), Dan Halkovich (1960-1961), Adelaide Shergold (1961-1962), Marion Winnifred Gering (1962-1964), Helen Mae Clark (1964), and Dora Jane-Anne Springer (1965).
Steep Rock topographic map, 62O/7, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Wooddale School District No. 1778 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Holly Thorne for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 31 July 2016
Back to top of page