Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Women’s Institutes Plaque (Main Street, Morris)

The Manitoba’s Women’s Institutes was established as a means of providing an educational and lobbying forum for Manitoba women. With a goal to improve rural families and communities through education and leadership, its origins can be traced to Morris where, in August 1910, a group of 37 local women had formed their own Women’s Institute. Encouraged by Manitoba Premier Rodmond Roblin and Principal of the Manitoba Agricultural College, W. J. Black, two women were sent around the province to see about expanding the concept to other communities.

Through November and December of 1910, they met other groups of interested women, in Emerson, Russell, Birtle, Strathclair, Minnedosa, Deloraine, Cartwright, Manitou, Morden, Roland, Miami, Carmen, Virden, Dauphin, Valley River, Headingley, Stonewall, Dugald, Birds Hill, and Swan Lake. The enthusiasm of the group at Morris was matched at these other communities, and the network grew from humble origins to include today some 30 local branches with over 500 members.

This plaque was unveiled at the office of the Rural Municipality of Morris in 1960 by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba, on the 50th anniversary of the Manitoba’s Women’s Institutes. Another plaque beside it was unveiled on 15 May 2010 for the centenary.

Manitoba Women's Institute Plaque

Manitoba’s Women’s Institutes Plaque (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.35633, W97.36477
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fisher Branch Women’s Institute Monument (RM of Fisher)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ranchvale Women’s Institute Monument (RM of Rossburn)

Manitoba Organization: Manitoba Women’s Institutes

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 December 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.