MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wolodimir School No. 1169 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

The Wolodimir School District was established in February 1902, named for Wolodimir Maschuk, the youngest son of local settler Jacob Maschuk. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SW32-27-21W in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The school closed in 1965 and the district was dissolved the following year. Its area became part of the Ethelbert Consolidated School District. The former school building was later moved a mile northeast to SE5-28-21W (about N51.36288, W100.37775) where it sat as of July 2006.

The teachers of Wolodimir School included Peter McGregor (1903), J. A. McGerrigle (1904), George Murtiniski [Murtinisky] (1905-1907), Ernest C. Whitehouse (1909-1910), William Zaporan (1912-1913, 1914-1916, 1919-1922), Hnat Platsko (1913-1914), Aug Kropowonisky (1914), John S. Boyko (1916-1919), Stephen H. Billinsky (1916 Night School, 1923-1924), M. Huley (1922-1923), Earl H. Waddell (1925), Gillie Dolinski (1925-1926), S. Genik (1926-1928), Clara Childs (1928-1930), Michael Sytnick (1931-1941, 1951-1953), Basil Lazaruk (1941-1944), Peter Melvin Kokolski (1944-1945, 1948-1950), Walderman Humeniuk (1945-1947), Jennie Nykolaishen (1947-1948), Stanley Cholka (1953-1954, 1955-1956), Nicholas M. Kowdrysh (1956-1957), and Mrs. Anne Sadowy (1958-1964).

Wolodimir School

Wolodimir School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 70.

Wolodimir School teacherage

Wolodimir School teacherage (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 70.

The former Wolodimir School building at N51.36288, W100.37775

The former Wolodimir School building at N51.36288, W100.37775 (July 2006)
Source: Ed Arndt

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.34803, W100.39254
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR5324), Wolodimer [sic] School District No. 1169 Daily and Half-Yearly Registers, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Ed Arndt, Gordon Goldsborough, and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 31 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.