Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wilkinson Kompass and Hawkey Warehouse (92 Gomez Street, Winnipeg)
Located along the west side of Gomez Street, north of Higgins Avenue, in Winnipeg, this three-storey structure was built in 1912 for the firm of Wilkinson, Kompass, & Hawkey. The Hamilton, Ontario-based industrial hardware firm—specializing in carriage, industrial hardware, blacksmith goods, as well as stock steel and iron bars—had begun operating a local branch office around 1908, at 143-145 Higgins Avenue. As business grew, so did the need for additional capacity. This property with frontage along the south side of the Canadian Pacific Railway main line was purchased and local architect J. H. G. Russell was commissioned to design the building.
Construction was undertaken by Brynjolfsson & Sons, with occupancy expected by 6 November 1912. The brick and masonry structure provided around 24,000 square feet of space and was completed at a cost of around $50,000. Its sturdy foundation was necessary due to the close proximity of railway traffic, as well as to support an envisioned expansion to six floors. The main floor contained several eight-foot pits for iron bar stowage, as to have the weight of such stock born upon the ground and not structural supports. The building had a freight elevator and loading dock fronting on the CPR siding, providing easy access for unloading of materials.
Around February 1936, the building was purchased by the W. G. McMahon Company following a fire at their five-storey Pacific Avenue offices and warehouse. The firm occupied it into the 1950s, with subsequent occupancy by several tenants prior to being acquired by the federal government to provide office space for Environment Canada, Parks Canada, and Energy, Mines, and Resources Canada. The building is presently occupied by commercial and manufacturing entities.
Photos & Maps
“City and General [Building falls],” Manitoba Free Press, 6 September 1910, page 16.
“Higgins Avenue building falls,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 September 1910, page 3.
“City and General [Building falls],” Manitoba Free Press, 9 September 1910, page 2.
“Damage to our warehouse in Winnipeg has been repaired [...],” Manitoba Free Press, 9 September 1910, page 2.
“New warehouse for heavy hardware firm on Gomez Street,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 November 1912, page 13.
“Wilkinson-Kompass, Ltd,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 September 1915, page 70.
“Stops racing on Exhibition Ground track,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1920, page 1.
“Speed contest fatality inquest [Harry R. Hawkey],” Manitoba Free Press, 1 September 1920, page 2.
“Jury passes censure on civic officials,” Manitoba Free Press, 3 September 1920, page 9.
“Notice to creditors [In the matter of the estate of Harry R. Hawkey [...],” Manitoba Free Press, 26 January 1924, page 14.
Winnipeg estate file 13067, Harry R. Hawkey, Archives of Manitoba.
“L. T. Pemberton, former city businessman, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 February 1928, page 7.
Death notice [Leigh Tudor Pemberton], Manitoba Free Press, 28 February 1928, page 21.
“By W. H. McPherson - trustee sale of [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 November 1933, page 2.
“W. G. McMahon Co. buys big warehouse,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 February 1936, page 4.
“Wanted to rent or purchase [Richardson Manufacturing 1963 Ltd.” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 June 1964, page 45.
“Industrial brick bldg. suitable for manufacturing or warehousing [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 August 1964, page 29.
“92 Gomez St. office-warehouse bldg.” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 September 1981, page 69.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 14 October 2017
Back to top of page