A wooden grain elevator at Winnipegosis, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Mossey River on the former CNR Winnipegosis Subdivision, was built in 1950 by National Grain. Around 1956, its initial 55,000-bushel capacity was increased to 85,000 bushels by the construction of a balloon annex on its southern side. Sold to Cargill Grain in 1975, it was closed in April 1981. The building was abandoned for many years before being demolished in March 2021.
Former National Grain elevator at Winnipegosis (July 1992)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Grain Elevator Inventory, slide 1970.
Former National Grain Elevator at Winnipegosis (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason
Former coal shed (right) at the National Grain Elevator at Winnipegosis (July 2015)
Source: Jean McManus
Former National Grain Elevator at Winnipegosis (June 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Aerial view of the former National Grain Elevator at Winnipegosis (August 2019)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.64318, W99.93180
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
We thank Alan Mason, Jean McManus, George Penner, Suzanne Lemon, and Morgan Turney for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 March 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.