This one-storey brick building at the end of Morley Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 84 feet by 111 feet, was built between late 1920 and early 1921 by the construction firm of Wallace and Akins as a garage and laundry building for the Winnipeg Municipal Hospital at a cost of about $45,130.
Its use ended in 1970 but it remains the oldest structure on the hospital grounds.
Winnipeg Municipal Hospital Garage and Laundry Building (January 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.86975, W97.12073
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Wallace and Akins
Historic Sites of Manitoba: King Edward Memorial Hospital (1 Morley Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: King George Isolation Hospital (1 Morley Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Princess Elizabeth Hospital / Winnipeg Municipal Hospital / Riverview Health Centre (1 Morley Avenue, Winnipeg)
“Building permits to date,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 November 1920, page 9.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 23 November 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!