Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Falls North School No. 1346 (Seven Sisters Falls, RM of Whitemouth)
The Winnipeg Falls School District was established in June 1905. Initially, a one-room schoolhouse operated at a site along highway 408 (about N50.08931, W96.02913) in the Rural Municipality of Whitemouth. Construction of the Seven Sisters hydroelectric power dam commenced in 1929 and a new one-room schoolhouse was built nearer the facility, at this site. It became known as Winnipeg Falls North School. At the same time, the two-room Winnipeg Falls South School opened in the community of River Hills.
In the early 1930s, the Winnipeg Falls North School was replaced by the present structure and the original building was moved during the winter to a site at the junction of highways 44 and 408 (about N49.98776, W96.00886) where it stands empty. The second school operated until 1962 when it closed and the building was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers who worked at Winnipeg Falls North School through the years were William Gevers (1912), Ernest Lexow (1916), John Gfeller (1920), James Oswald (1925-1928), Mary Mroze (1938), Esther Anne Brandt (1944), Nonie Panchuk (1948), Hilma Solar (1952-1957), and Frances Gochowich (1961-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails to Rails to Highways edited by Bob Porth and Craig MacKenzie, Whitemouth Municipal Museum Society, 1979.
Information for this page was collected by Robert Porth and prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 February 2014
Back to top of page