Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Willis Apartments (860 Winnipeg Avenue, Winnipeg)

This two-storey brick and stone block on Winnipeg Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 80 feet by 63 feet, was designed by local architect Peter Cornelius Samwell and built in 1913 for owner Mrs. A. E. Jameson at a cost of about $60,000. It contains 14 apartments in its original configuration.

Willis Apartments

Willis Apartments (December 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90423, W97.16595
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Peter Cornelius Samwell [Samwel] (1874-1951)

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 904/1913, City of Winnipeg Archives.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

Find a Postal Code, Canada Post.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.

Page revised: 24 March 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.