Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Willen, RM of Ellice-Archie)

Built by the Matheson Grain Company in 1914, a 30,000-bushel wooden grain elevator at Willen, on the CPR Rocanville Subdivision in what is now the Rural Municipality of Ellice-Archie, was sold in 1918 to the Lake of the Woods Milling Company. Its office was destroyed by fire on 8 January 1955 and rebuilt. Sold to Manitoba Pool Elevators in November 1959, the facility was closed the following year. No vestige of the elevator remains at the site.

Aerial view of the Lake of the Woods grain elevator at Willen

Aerial view of the Lake of the Woods grain elevator at Willen (1956)
Source: A15528-47, Manitoba Air Photo Library

Site Location (lat/long): N50.17080, W101.22186
denoted by symbol on the map above


A15528-47 (1956), Manitoba Air Photo Library.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 September 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!