Historic Sites of Manitoba: White Poplar School No. 1877 (RM of Brokenhead)
The White Poplar School District was organized formally in April 1917 and a school building operated on the southeast quarter of 27-14-7 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. The school closed in 1967 but, as of 2012, the building was still present at the site along with its teacherage.
Among the teachers of White Poplar School were Mrs. A. E. Baldwin (1920, grades 1-5), May Modrzejewski? (grades 1-5, 1921), Alice Hamilton (1925, grades 1-5), Della Baker (1926, grades 1-5), Teenie Evelyn Kozier Kozyra (1926-1933), Minnie Agnes Cooper (1933-1938), Rudolph Pitzek (1938-1939), Joseph H. Basarabowicz (1939-1941), Nellie C. Rowe (1941), Stephen David Bahry (1942, 1943-1946), Mary Edeline Kondratuk (1942-1943), Alice Kalinovich (1946-1947), William Harry “Bill” Kozyra (1948-1952), Laura Johanna Thorarinson Armstrong (1952-1953), Maurice John Shisarchuk (1953-1954), Stella Bridget Kozyniak (1954-1955), Lena Catherine Basiuk (1955-1958), Mary A. Schewe (1958-1960, 1961-1962), Helen Marie Nyznyk (1960-1961), Myrtle Feniuk (1962-1963), Elsie Masquin (1963-1964, 1966-1967), Ken Hlady (1964-1965), and William J. Sianchuk (1965-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Laura Johanna Gudrun Thorarinson Armstrong], Winnipeg Free Press, 10 September 2013.
Manitoba School Records Collection, White Poplar School District No. 1877 Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 7 July 2019
Back to top of page