Historic Sites of Manitoba: Westmount School No. 1587 (Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson)
The Westmount School District was organized formally in May 1911 and it operated a school building on the northeast quarter of 8-17-18W in what is now the Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson. Destroyed by fire in January 1917, it was rebuilt later that year. The school closed in June 1962 and the district was dissolved in 1965. The building was sold and moved to another site where it was renovated into a private residence. A monument commemorates it at the original site.
Among the teachers of Westmount School were Eleanor Litmus (1913), Eleanor Short (1913-1914), W. J. Wood (1914), ? Bayliss (1914), H. Hill (1915), Cecilia Johnson (1916-1917), Inez Sumers (1917-1918), Christine Thorstensen (1918), H. C. Hodges (1919), Gwen Ewens (1919-1920), Cecilia Johnson (1920-1921), Pearl Sharpin (1921-1922), Jean Dandy (1922-1923), Vina Harlow (1923-1926), Connie Averill (1926-1929), Ann Doner (1929-1930), Bessie Bradshaw (1930-1933), C. Pentland (1933-1934), F. A. Wilson (1934-1937), Miss Wilman (1937-1938), Miss Wilmot (1938-1939), Marjorie Ann Dewar (1939-1941), Mary Chwalibago (1941-1942), Mary Thoren (1942-1943), Miss Meyers (1943-1944), Eleanor Lee (1944-1946), Margaret Brodie (1946), Connie Hay (1946-1947), Jack Epp (1947-1949), Shirley Briggs (1949-1950), Ann Sydor (1950-1952), Elinor Morgan (1952-1953), Zetta Kuyzk (1953), Mamie Wetteland (1953-1958), and Janet Johnston (1958-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Forest to Field: Centennial History of Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam and Village of Erickson, Manitoba, Canada by Clanwilliam History Book Committee, 1984, pages 156-157.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2019
Back to top of page