This Queen Anne-style residence on Eveline Street in Selkirk was built in 1888 by Robert Moncrieff and Frank Wright for Charles Henry West. The 1½-storey structure, with horizontal wood siding on a wood frame, sits on a stone foundation. A bay window protrudes into the open verandah, which is supported by columns and the walls are trimmed with bargeboard and shingles. Although the interior has been altered, and a door and window in the front have been removed, it still has the original woodwork, staircase, and wood flooring.
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Henry West (1849-1905)
Historical Tour: Selkirk, Manitoba by Wendy G. Smulan
Manitoba History, Number 34, Autumn 1997
We thank George Penner, Rose Kuzina and Oksana Preachuk and Jaydi Overwater (City of Selkirk, Culture Recreation & Green Transportation Department) for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.