This two-storey brick building on Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and built in 1928 for dentist Lawrence Jacob Weselake. The building contains space for two retail stores on its main floor and the upper floor contained four residential apartments in its original configuration.
Weselake Building (November 2020)
Source: George Penner
Weselake Building (January 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91473, W97.14172
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)
Memorable Manitobans: Lawrence Jacob Weselake (1898-1962)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Weselake Block (503-505 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg)
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Max Blankstein: Architect by Murray Peterson, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, 2022.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 6 February 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!