Known originally as Welch School when it was established in 1899, it was renamed Welsh School at some point during its history. A school building was erected on the northeast quarter of 33-4-14 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. It closed in 1966 and remaining students went to Baldur Consolidated School No. 667. The district was dissolved in 1968. The school building is no longer on the site but a metal sign commemorates it.
Welsh School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 38.
Welsh School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.35516, W99.29398
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.