Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Wellwood, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A 35,000-bushel elevator at Wellwood, on the CPR Varcoe Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford, was constructed by the Manitoba government between 1912 and 1919, and purchased by United Grain Growers in 1924. Annexes built in 1950 and 1955 increased its total capacity to 115,000 bushels. A balloon annex present in 1964 had been removed by 1972. Closed in April 1975, the elevator was replaced by a new elevator at Petrel. Sold to local farmers, it was used for storing and drying grain in the 1980s but was demolished in 1990.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1912-1915

Allan James Grant

1915-1918

Sam Arbuckle

1918-1922

Allan James Grant

1922-1923

Edgar Frank Wall

1923-1924

Francis I. A. Klugh

1924-1956

Edgar Frank Wall

1956-1962

W. L. Ross

1962-1970

O. E. Hewitt

1970-1975

Joe Irwin

1975

Hugh Rankmore

Photos & Coordinates

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood (1964)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood (1972)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood (1972)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Wellwood (1972)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

Site Coordinates (lat/long): NW
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Wellwood success story,” Brandon Sun, 22 January 1981, page 4.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 October 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.