Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Weiden School No. 1604 (RM of Mossey River)

The Weiden School District was established in December 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse was built in 1915 at SW1-29-17W in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. It operated until 1938 when it was destroyed by fire. A replacement was built on the same site. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. The former school building remained at the site until the late 1980s or early 1990s. It was not there at the time of a site visit in 2012.

Among the teachers who worked at Weiden School were A. M. Jennen (1926), W. I. McGregor (1930-1931), M. Talpash (1934-1935), F. Zaplitny (1936-1937), Batty Ann Cason (1950-1951), Lucy McCoun (1962-1963), Marie Szport (1957-1959), Bernice Zaplitny (1959-1963), A. F. Hyde (1963-1964), E. Taylor (1965-1967), Harry W. Chornoboy, Daniel J. Reese, and George E. Basham.

Students doing outdoor exercises at the original Weiden School

Students doing outdoor exercises at the original Weiden School (no date) by H. J. Everall
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 1.

The former Weiden School building

The former Weiden School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 818.

The former Weiden School building

The former Weiden School building (late 1980s)
Source: Ed Arndt

Site Location (lat/long): N51.44980, W99.73243
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Rorketon East topographic map, 62O/5 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Opening the Door: The Past Comes Alive: The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipal History Committee, 1997, page 477-478. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.L39 Ope]

We thank Ed Arndt and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.