Historic Sites of Manitoba: Margaret Park Community Centre / Vince Leah Recreation Centre / Beryl Watts Park (1295 Salter Street, Winnipeg)
This Winnipeg park was originally established in 1964 as the Margaret Park Community Centre (MPCC), with West Kildonan journalist Vince Leah a driving force behind its establishment. Leah served as MPCC President (1965-1967) and was heavily involved in its operations. A new community club building was erected in 1971-1972 and officially opened on 26 February 1972, the structure itself dedicated to Leah. Beyond the structure, the entire MPCC would be renamed for Leah on 4 October 1980, henceforth known as the Vince Leah Recreation Centre (VLRC). Following the death of community activist Eunice Beryl Routley Watts, the VLRC wading pool and playground area of the community centre was named in her honour on 28 April 2002. A bench in the park is dedicated to Watts’ son, Kipp Watts (1953-2000).
“Registrations,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1964, page 43.
“Vince Leah re-elected,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 January 1966, page 58.
“City of West Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 May 1971, page 64.
“Time out with Maurice Smith,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 February 1972, page 57.
“City calendar,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 October 1980, page 2.
“The Lord Selkirk / West Kildonan Community Committee [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 October 1980, page 11.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 9 April 2002, page C6.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 27 April 2021