Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Watson House (64 Balmoral Street, Winnipeg)

This two-storey wood frame residence on Balmoral Street in Winnipeg was built in 1907 by contractor Arthur Simmons. The first owner was real estate agent W. R. Watson and an early tenant was railway contractor James G. Dagg. Later owners included florist H. E. Philpott (1916), Mary A. Forsyth (1950 to 1960s), and a Buddhism-based addictions treatment centre for youth.

Watson House

Watson House (May 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88367, W97.15325
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Arthur Simmons (1879-1950)

Sources:

W. R. Watson House, 64 Balmoral Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2008.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 February 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.