Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Waterloo School No. 822 (Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)

The Waterloo School District was established formally in June 1894 and a two-room school opened the next year in the southeast quarter of 18-1-24 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada. The building was constructed at a cost of $480 and was enlarged in the early 1920s with an addition on the east side and a porch across the north end. The school operated until June 1967 and was the educational and social centre of the local community. It closed due to low enrollment, and remaining students went to Waskada Consolidated School No. 492. The building was still standing in 1970 but is now commemorated only by a concrete cairn at the site.

Teachers at Waterloo School through the years included A. Perrin, Rufus Marr, Miss A. Balfour, Alma Meggison Salker, Miss Effie Millichamp, Miss Pearl Livingston, John Cummings, Miss Attridge, Bessie Beech Sheffield, James Cooper, Miss Dora Eldon, Miss E. Kelsey, Miss Annie Down, Miss Violet Norgrove, Miss Grace Dandy, Bruce Urie, Eva Lyons, Miss Jennie Andrew, Miss Carrie Daughty, Bruce Day, Flossie McKenzie Cruikshank, Thelma Strong, Miss Gladys Riddel, Miss Olive Smith, Jean Livingston, Miss Henrietta Herkes, Ella Rowe Meggison, Mr. Duffy, Bessie Poole, Mr. Charles Rhind, Margaret Buick, Marion Todd, Clint Bell, Mildy McMillan, Eileen Bates, Eva Duncan, Annie Hasselhan, Marjorie Hurlbert Cruikshank, Edith Bambridge, Ada Renwick Meggison, Russel Millard, Miss Louise Hunt, Doreen Shanks, and Miss Jean Woodward.

Waterloo School

Waterloo School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 6.

Waterloo School

Waterloo School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.02916, W100.67789
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Goodlands: West of the Turtle Mountain, 1670-1970. Goodlands: Goodlands United Church, 1970. Legislative Library of Manitoba (F5649.G543 Goo).

Bridging Brenda: The History of Brenda Municipality and Area, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, pages 134-136.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 July 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.