Historic Sites of Manitoba: Washow Bay School No. 2060 (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)
The Washow Bay School District was organized formally in March 1921 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW20-25-4E in what is now the Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton. In January 1966, the district was dissolved and its catchment area was incorporated into the Riverton Consolidated School District No. 2443, and later the Evergreen School Division.
Among the teachers of Washow Bay School were Elsie A. McKay (1922), James Ernest MacKay (1922-1923), M. M. Smith (1924-1925), Norman Ernest Wright (1925-1926), Albertine J. “Albertina” Baldwinson (1926), Pauline Guttormson? (1926-1927), Alex Brown (1928-1931), Henry Norman Powell (1931-1933), Margaret Sigvaldson (1948-1950), Anne Dorothy Kohler (1950-1951), Margaret Egesz (1951-1952), Lillian Palson (1953-1954), Michael “Mike” Kubas (1954-1955), Leona Unger (1955), Stanley Bonkowski (1955-1956), Marie Talpash (1956-1957), Agnes E. Dzulra (1957-1959), Sigridur Jonina Johnson (1959-1960), and Daisy Gudrun S. Isfjord (1960-1961).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Washow Bay School District No. 2060 Daily Registers, GR6124, Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files, Washow Bay School District No. 2060 - Miscellaneous, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 25 January 2017
Back to top of page