Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wapaha School No. 634 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
The Wapaha School District, named for the Indigenous word meaning “white water,” was established formally in February 1891. As of 1894, a one-room schoolhouse operated on the northwest corner of 16-21-4W in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. Destroyed by arson fire in 1908, classes were held in a leased one-room house until a replacement school was built in 1909. It closed in 1966 and the district was dissolved the following year. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a metal sign erected in 1995 commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Wapaha School were Mr. Jackson (1892), Ella Scott (1915-1916), Vera Kempthorne (1949), and Maria Roeges (1966).
Our Heritage by Regent Women’s Institute, c1967, pages 20-21. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.R44 Reg]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, page 184.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 February 2017
Back to top of page