The Volunteer Monument was originally unveiled on the grounds of the Winnipeg City Hall at a ceremony on 28 September 1886. Designed by architect Samuel Hooper, it commemorated the men of the 90th Winnipeg Battalion killed in the North West Rebellion of 1885, at the Battle of Fish Creek on 24 April 1885 (where battalion members acquired their nickname “Little Black Devils”) and the Battle of Batoche on 12 May 1885:
At a ceremony on 10 November 1963, the monument was re-dedicated by Lieutenant-Governor Errick F. Willis and Winnipeg Mayor Stephen Juba in honour of those who served with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. It was moved to its present site, adjacent to the Centennial Concert Hall and the Manitoba Museum, and re-dedicated by former Premier Duff Roblin and Stephen Juba at a ceremony on 26 May 1968. At that time, members of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles were given the “Freedom of the City”.
Volunteer Monument (1885)
Source: Robertson’s Political Manual of Manitoba and N. W. Territories, 1887.
The Volunteer Monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89977, W97.13746
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Royal Winnipeg Rifles North West Rebellion, 1885 Monument (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Royal Winnipeg Rifles Monument (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old City Hall Plaque (Princess Street, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!