Historic Sites of Manitoba: Vista General Store / Baker’s General Store (Vista, Municipality of Rossburn)
A wood frame building on the main street in Vista, in the Municipality of Rossburn, was constructed in 1907. Operated successively by Julius Gourdeau, George Sinclair, and the Lazaruk brothers, in 1950 it was taken over by Dick and Joan Baker, who ran it for the next 60 years. In addition to selling groceries, they hosted a post office, gas pump, and bus depot. The store closed in January 2010 and Dick Baker died the following year.
Vista Tales ... from Islay School District No. 733 in Vista, Manitoba, compiled and edited by Gerald R. Brown, 2006.
“Century of post office service comes to an end,” South Mountain Press, 15 January 2010, page 9.
“In the neighborhood,” Crossroads This Week, 17 June 2011, page 13.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Robert Galston and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 April 2018
Back to top of page