Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Point School No. 53 (RM of Morris)
The Union Point School District was formally established in April 1878. A school building operated on River Lot 513 in the Rural Municipality of Morris. It closed in 1960 and the district was dissolved. Henceforth students in this area went to Ste. Agathe Consolidated School No. 2385. The former school building was moved to the St. Joseph Museum.
Among the teachers who worked at Union Point School were Janet Turner, Eva Fraser, Etta Jenkins, Harold “Harry” Grills (1891-1900), Edna Lenora Perry (1942-1943), and Mildred Ginn Thompson (1945-1946).
St. Adolphe East topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A11639-11 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
A Prairie Girl’s Life: The Story of the Reverend Edna Lenora Perry by Edna Lenora Perry, 2014. [Winnipeg Public Library]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 August 2018
Back to top of page