Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sixth Avenue NW, Portage la Prairie)
Built in Portage la Prairie between 1925 and 1927, on a design by cleric and architect Philip Ruh, this Ukrainian Catholic Church was demolished in 1982 and replaced by the present structure on First Street NW, slightly north of the former church site. The church hall, constructed beside the church in 1967, still stands at the intersection of Sixth Avenue NW and Tupper Street.
MHS Centennial Organization: Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (First Street NW, Portage la Prairie)
Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg Archeparchy by Anna Maria Kowcz-Baran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1991.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and James Kostuchuk.
Page revised: 23 December 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.