Occupants | Photos & Maps | Sources
This two-storey brick structure on Middle Gate in the Armstrong’s Point area of Winnipeg was designed by local architect Walter Chesterton and constructed by builder Sinclair Balsor Ritchie in 1896 for William Johnston Tupper. Named “Elmhurst” by the Tupper family, it was duplexed in 1949 by owner Fred May and, at that time, acquired a second address, 155 East Gate.
Photos & Coordinates
Memorable Manitobans: Walter Chesterton (1845-1931)
Memorable Manitobans: Sinclair Balsor Ritchie (1855-1933)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tupper House (147 West Gate, Winnipeg)
Historical Tours in Manitoba: A Walking Tour of Armstrong’s Point by Patricia Thomson
Armstrong's Point: A History by Randy R. Rostecki, Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corporation, 2009.
We thank Pat Thomson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Rose Kuzina, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.