The Trader’s Bank was incorporated by an Act of Parliament in 1885 and began moving operations west by the turn of the century. It came to Selkirk with the completion of this three-storey brick building in 1907. However, its residency was short-lived, as it was replaced by the Dominion Bank in 1909. The truncated corner of the building, its main defining feature, was intended to attract customers from the street. The building is now a municipally designated historic site.
The former Trader’s Bank Building at Selkirk (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
The former Trader’s Bank Building at Selkirk (December 2017)
Source: George Penner
The former Trader’s Bank Building at Selkirk (May 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.14390, W96.86930
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Trader’s Bank Building, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Heritage Buildings of Selkirk, City of Selkirk.
We thank Tim Worth, Rose Kuzina, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 August 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.