The Thor School District was established formally in July 1907 and a school building was erected the next year on the northeast corner of 28-5-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. The school closed in 1959 and its remaining students went to St. Alphonse Consolidated School No. 2371. The building no longer sits on the site but a cairn erected on 9 July 1995 commemorates it.
Thor School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 116.
Thor School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.42896, W99.15665
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.