In 1916, a two-storey wood frame structure was constructed on First Street West of The Pas, adjacent to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Cathedral. It was enlarged from four to eight classrooms in 1929. From 1966 to 1973, it was operated under the auspices of the Kelsey School Division. In 1973, the building was emptied when the students were moved to the new Mary Duncan Elementary School and, in 1974, the building was torn down.
The Pas Catholic School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 137.
The enlarged The Pas Catholic School (1940s)
Source: Vaughn Wadelius
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N53.82780, W101.25203
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: The Pas School No. 1635 / Mary Duncan Elementary School (Second Avenue West, The Pas)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Cathedral (28 First Street West, The Pas)
History of the Kelsey School Division.
This page was prepared by Vaughn Wadelius and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 October 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.